Monday, October 10, 2011

Buongiorno! From Italy!!

My twice a year blogging is a bit lacking, I know! We were so fortunate to be able to spend time together in such a gorgeous place. It was just as beautiful as any picture and the trip overall was INCREDIBLE!! I think that I will post several times to keep the locations clear. Lets go...

After arriving in Milan we traveled by bus then subway for a quick side trip. There is a magnificent Duomo. Standing at the base, you couldn't see the top looking up. If you look carefully, the people hardly look like anything in front of the doors.The carving and details were unbelievable and the sheer size and amount of stone used, unreal.Each spire held a carving of a Saint. There were hundreds of carvings, each detail exquisite. We were able to climb to the roof and wander at our leisure. So fun to enjoy a beautiful day here.

Back to the train station for a ride to Lake Como, about an hour north. It is set into the Alps,and is very deep and a beautiful. I was surprised to see the enormous mountains and also near the lake, palm trees. So many climates in one place.It doesn't even look possible to be this picturesque. A beautiful little village nestled at the base of the Alps. The whole rim of the lake has settlements like this!!
After taking the Ferry to Bellagio, (no, not Vegas) we settled in to our darling hotel and started our meanderings.I love this guy! Seriously, how fun is this!I couldn't believe the colors and setting here. Many botanical and formal Italian gardens to roam, we ferried across the lake to the other towns, and took things easy. I wish we had more time to spend here. The two days were not enough!We ended the trip to Lake Como with a dinner at this charming sidewalk cafe. It only had about 5 tables. Yum!!

Stay tuned for Venice...

No comments: